First of all, can I just say how lucky and thankful I feel when authors or publishing houses send us copies of their books to read?!! Well, I’ll tell you how it feels. You know, when you ask for your favourite iced coffee and the Barista adds in a secret flavour sauce or an extra shot of espresso for free, just for you, and that makes is double delicious?! Yep- it feels just like that..hehe
Ok, so now that I have finished gushing about my thankfulness, let’s talk about this book. Well, you’ve already seen my thumbs up rating for the book, so you know I enjoyed it.
What is this book about?
Since this is the first of a trilogy, one cant talk about the entire story in this synopsis, but let’s just say, this is dystopian science fiction story set in the soon to be year 2525. We are introduced to two protagonists, Felix- who could be an android, but then is he? And red haired Astra- who Felix has rescued. We are also introduced to the ‘Chairman’ who reminded me of ‘Snow- from The Hunger Games’ and the Clockmaker, or Father Christmas.
The world is supposed to be the best times for living- diseases, death, poverty, pain almost seems to have been eradicated, but so have emotions- such as hunger, pain, love, fear. Men and women are kept separately and women are treated as a disease, only required for recreation purposes (shudder). Books have been destroyed (remember the world in Fahrenheit 451?- Yep, looks like we’ve made it there 😦 ) and all old time objects have been destroyed or made extinct. I thought to myself, what a bleak world to live in. The year 2525 is approaching, and Felix meets Astra and they need to uncover something big. You can see something building up, and you want to know more 🙂
Things I enjoyed in this book:
- A science fiction story set in a dystopian future? You sold me right there, M.C. Frank!
- A very quick and easy read. Not to forget, very interesting! The book is short and the story moves along in so fast, it had me hooked right from the beginning
- The world building, some old concepts and some new terrifying concepts. I’m sure there is lot more to come in the next books
- The cliff hanger in the last chapter!!! Man, now I want to read book 2, as soon as possible!
Things that didn’t work for me:
- I wanted to know more about Felix and Astra’s characters- what makes them tick, what makes them special:) In the first book, they are just starting to discover the world and themselves, so I am anticipating that we will see them grow and become themselves as the series progresses
- Why was the book so short!!!!??? hahaha
A fast paced, interesting read that I will recommend to young adults and older people who like science fiction or a dystopian fiction:)
**Thank you M.C. Frank for sharing this copy of your first trilogy of the Astra series with me, in exchange of an honest review.**
You can get the book on Amazon here:
And read about it on Goodreads here:
Have you guys read this book? What were your thoughts on it and the characters? 🙂
One thought on “No Ordinary Star by M.C. Frank- Book Review”