We’ve all got our fetishes and things that we crave above all right? I’d like not to club our passion for reading in the same league as other addiction such as shopping, binging, drinking or doing narcotics, but the way we behave sure does have many common symptoms with these.. ahem. Thankfully, the saving grace for us book lovers is that this does not ruin our health or families and actually gives us something in return #wordofthewise 😂
So, if you’re like me or you know friends or people like me, book lovers I mean, or you want to spot one of us, here are things to look out for😉
- We need new clothes, new shoes, probably diapers for the toddler, some essential toiletries and we have a budget for all this. We enter the mall, and just want to ‘peep in’ at Waterstones (or whatever other book shop is visible at your place of shopping), and lo and behold..we have spent our entire or at least the majority of our money on books, pens, and journals. Nope, we didn’t buy clothes- who needs more clothes anyway, we reason
- Other people take selfies with their partners or shots of their food or drink or place of travel for social media- we take selfies with our books or pictures of books in pretty places or pictures of books and our favorite beverages for our social media
- We’re always being asked, ‘How do you find time to read so much?‘, and we always keep wondering how to make time to read more, because there are just too many awesome books out there and too little time!
- We replace time to exercise with reading- after all, reading is exercising the mind right? We swap sleeping for reading- after all, all the famous people managed with 4 hours of sleep right? Who needs sleep, I feel like a Vampire anyway.! Hehehe
- We love it when people give us book-ish presents (hint hint) 😀
- Sometimes we’re a little out of place in social gatherings involving discussions on other subjects such as sports or politics (not the rule generally), but we’re very vocal if it is a book club kind of gathering
- If we’re lost or missing, you will definitely find us at a book store, or an indie book store, or a library, or at the garden or in a corner, curled up with a book
- If we’re alone with a book- that means, Do Not Disturb 😀
- We are more beverage people than food people- since it is really tough to eat while reading, unless you’re listening to an audiobook!
- Our bag or backpacks will always have a paperback, kindle or an audible app on the phone. Even when we’re 100 years old and someone wise asks us, ‘After all this time?’..we’ll say, ‘Always, Always..’..Sighhhhh 🙂
These are things that I do, but I took the liberty to generalize this to what other book lovers like me would do too! But I’d love to hear your thoughts or comments on the idiosyncracies of your own bookish friends or book lover experiences 😉