This is the first book from my summer reading list this year, and what a book to begin with!! If you don’t have time to read the rest of the post, then in short, I loved it! This is the kind of book that makes me fall in love with reading 🙂 It was short, happy and had the most amazing lead character and I have fallen in love with Eleanor 🙂 I’m sure you will too, when you read this book and her story. Highly recommended!
Eleanor has a set routine. She has a 9-5 job as an accountant, she is very intelligent, has impeccable habits and always wraps up her week with a Vodka and pizza from Tesco. She has a routine for everything but is mostly floating through life instead of ‘living’ it. She has these really funny and quirky thoughts in her head, that seem absolutely normal to her and absolutely strange and hilarious to people like me..lol. Everything is fine, until she meets the IT guy Raymond and they save an old guy- Sammy. The events that follow this encounter, helps Eleanor find herself and live her life. There is something she has to know and deal with herself, and she does. In the end, Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine 🙂
Things that I loved about the book:
- It is short and written in such simple words. Yet, you can’t find a mistake with the grammar or the language used. I actually loved Eleanor’s thoughts on the departure of writing, and why people want to write in words that make no sense (ex: C U, and LOL)
- It is such a feel good book. I was laughing through most of the book and even though there is a very serious subject underlying the story, the way the subject is treated, is brilliant! This is a story of victory and love and friendship and finding yourself.
- Eleanor is the most endearing character I have come across in the longest time, since Hermoine. She actually did remind me of her in some places, when she says what is on her mind and people think she is trying to act smart, when all she is doing in her mind is trying to help..lol. She is so honest but not in an unkind way
- I loved Eleanor and Raymond’s friendship
- Everyone is so great in the book! There are only literally two bad people and even they are not given much weightage in the book! In a time when violence and revenge and all dark things sell, this book is like a breath of sunshine- all good and kind and helpful people everywhere, even in the office!
Things I didn’t enjoy much in the book:
- Nothing! I loved everything about this story and this book..everything, all the characters, the plot, the language, everything! If I have to try hard, then it would be that I wanted to know how the Christmas party went..lol. Maybe there will be a sequel? 😉
My favourite characters:
- Eleanor! Eleanor!
- Raymond is adorable too- in his own goofy way